Monday, August 22, 2011

TJ Skyway - Lifting a Matchbox 1998 Jeep Wrangler

The Matchbox 5-pack always offers some unique opportunities for collectors.  One of my favorite 5-packs as of late is the Desert Adventure No. 9.  It is in this particular pack that you will find the 1998 Jeep Wrangler, otherwise known as a TJ.  Some have distinguished this particular model as the Jeep Wrangler Camper due to it's updated roll cage featuring a cargo rack with an allotment of camping gear.  Now right off the bat you notice the race inspired tampos that feature Superlift Suspension Systems as a would-be sponsor.  This leads into my first problem, this TJ does not seem to be lifted in any way that might glorify an aftermarket suspension.  So I took it upon myself to fix that little problem.


With a cannibalistic donation from a MBX 4x4 (one of my favorites) I began sizing up what it was going to take to fit my Wranglers new shoes.  After what was about the smallest amount of modification I have done yet, I had the interior and frame of the MBX 4x4 fitted perfectly in the body of the Jeep.


As you can see the TJ looks awesome with the meaty off-road tires and bead-lock wheels, but after I took the first round of photos I thought something was still missing, a full size spare!


After some drilling and cutting (and kindly asking a dune buggy to surrender its wheels) I was able to mount a full size spare tire on the back of my Wrangler.  I could not be more pleased with how this truck turned out.  Not only can this Jeep Wrangler handle some serious trails as well as some rock crawling, but she's guaranteed to get you to even the remotest of camp sites. Till next time, happy fishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment